Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Collage

This collage has taken me a while to think over because I've had to mull over all of my feelings about it, and what I really think when I think of Thanksgivings Day. First things that do are Pilgrims obviously, Squanto, and Pocohantes. I think of those two Native Americans in particular because when I was growing up, those are the two that I heard had helped the colonizers to survive. Their knowledge aided John Smith, and those with him. I think the reasons that I link the two Native Americans and Thanksgivings Day is because what I have heard about the holiday is that Native Americans sympathized with the pilgrims, and helped them grow and find things. So in a sense, I relate the two. I have always known, as a caucasian, Thanksgivings Day to be a time to be thankful for what you have; and to be thankful for the people who are around to help you. Unfortunately, as I have grown up and learned new things, I see that quite the opposite happened in the past. I suppose it is hard to accept truth on some levels. Not all of these Europeans coming across had good intentions, if any, and the true story often tends to be different than those that we have learned. So, getting to the point, when I think of Thanksgivings Day, I think of materialistic things like food, a break from school on first thought; when I think deeper, I think of things like what the pilgrims went through to get to the place they were, and how they took advantage of those people who were living there first and who were so kind to them.
I have no collage because there are no pictures that portray what I'm truly feeling about Thanksgivings day.

1 comment:

Native Women in Traditional & Contemporary Societies~~Critical Readings & Perspectives said...

Dear Grace,

What a profound way to conclude this blog entry. When you visualize what you feel, at that moment, what do you see? Sometimes when I'm totally immersed, or engulfed in a thought, which like your description, is a greatdeal of substance, memory, material, truths, and untruths, I feel very --overwhelemed. (deep breath). I wondered at this moment, how you were feeling when you entered this important insight... there are no words. Sometimes I wish I still had my original language, and I think, maybe i'd have the words I need to express deep sorry, loss, grief, and intense love for life, my people, my family, the land, the elements, and my appreciation (esp. as I get older!) for the small necessities. I am grateful that you processed honestly. I'd love to follow your blog and see where you go next. I hope that you'll reach out to me in your learning circle, from time to time, and send me a signal, when you get strong urges to paint the pictures that do come ... even when they're not totally 'clear.'

Thank you for sending the email invitation to come into your world. I'm grateful to learn more from you.

Margo Tamez