Monday, December 15, 2008

Warrior Women and Women Chiefs: Alternative Identities and Genders for Native Women

This chapter brought up the idea that women in the Western society must act in a certain way. Indigenous women choose not to mold to this, which is why they're not able to get any significant or good attention from white "Amerikka". Native women have been pushed into the background and brushed under the rug because they're the 'Other'. Along the east coast there were many Sunksquaw "woman chief". These women provided ways to gain leadership roles and opportunities. 
In my personal life, I wish that I could make my own mold, and not be forced into what I'm expected to be. As much as I do to try and be my own person, I see that in some ways that I'm not seen as feminine. When a woman takes steps outside of the mold that is given her, shes not seen as feminine. 

No comments: